Staycation Vibes- How to Plan the Perfect Staycation
“Being on vacation is 90% attitude” -Dennison Berwick, Staycation: How to Get away Without Going Away
Setting the stage for the perfect staycation begins with your mindset. That means, making a conscious decision to unplug from everyday life and be in the moment, even if you’re in your own home. You can put yourself in the vacation state of mind by following these simple tips.
- Set a start and end date- Just like any other vacation, your staycation should have a scheduled start and end time. Make sure you get any non-vacation items done before the vacation officially starts.
- Have a kick-off ceremony- Maybe it’s a toast in the backyard, or the first meal during your holiday, but you can make the staycation official by commemorating the start.
- Set a budget- Plan for your staycation by setting a budget for the week or weekend. That way, you’ll be able to spend without feeling guilty or worrying about overspending.
- Take lots of photos- You’ll want to document the memories being made on your staycation.
Honestly, the idea of a staycation sounds pretty great. You can enjoy all the fun and relaxation of an out-of-town trip, without the packing or travel time, waiting in lines or getting lost in strange cities. Plus, you can use the all the money in your vacation budget for experiences and activities, rather than travel costs. Here are a few of my favorite ideas to get you started with planning your perfect staycation:
- Plan a Spa Day- Whether you do this at your own home, or go to a local spa, a trip to the spa is a great way to unwind and make the most of your staycation time. Book a mani/pedi, massage or facial, or make it a full day and do it all!
- Be a Local Tourist- Living in Virginia Beach, there are so many tourist-y things to do that as locals, we just don’t get around to! A staycation is the perfect opportunity to try some of those activities out. A few options in Virginia Beach include:
- Parasail or Rent a jet ski
- See wildlife on a Dolphin cruise
- Try paddle boarding or surfing
- Test your skills at the Adventure Park
- Hike at First Landing State Park
- Watch Glassblowing at the Chrysler Museum
- Stop and see the street art in the VIBE Creative District
- Take a winery or brewery tour
- Ride the Portsmouth Ferry
- Go to a Norfolk Tides Baseball game
- Make a reservation at a fancy restaurant, or hire a chef to come to the house and make dinner for you and a group of friends- if you choose the in-home chef option, you can go all out with a theme, decorations and music for a dinner party your friends will never forget. The best part is, you can enjoy the party and let someone else cook!
There are so many ways you make memories in your own backyard. Whatever you have planned for this summer, hope you have a great one. Stay hydrated and wear sunscreen!
< Go Back