Delicious Gingerbread Rolls
For the dough:
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. dry active yeast (not instant or rapid rise)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 c. whole milk
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for bowl
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp. molasses
For the filling and assembly:
- 1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- All-purpose flour, for work surface
For the topping:
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 c. confectioners sugar, divided
- 2 tsp. molasses
- 1 tsp. warm water
Make the dough:
- Whisk together sugar, yeast, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and 1 3/4 cups flour in a bowl. Combine milk and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the butter has melted and mixture reads between 105°F and 110°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Add milk mixture, egg, and molasses to flour mixture. Beat with a dough hook attached to a stand mixer, on low speed, until moistened. Continue beating, gradually adding remaining 1 3/4 cups flour, until smooth and pliable, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly buttered mixing bowl; cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Set bowl in a warm place and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Make the filling and assemble:
- Combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a bowl.
- Butter a 9- by 13-inch or 8- by 8-inch baking dish. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12- by 16-inch rectangle. Spread with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Starting from the long side, roll up into a log. Cut into 12 (if using a 9- by 13-inch baking dish) or 9 (if using an 8- by 8-inch baking dish) pieces and place, cut sides up, in prepared dish. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake until cooked through and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
Make the topping:
- Combine cream cheese, vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners sugar in a bowl. Whisk together molasses, water, and remaining 1/3 cup confectioners sugar in a separate bowl. Spread cream cheese mixture on warm rolls, then drizzle with molasses glaze.
< Go Back